The Community-Based Natural Resource Management Network
Home > Section Admin > Category Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions
Note on terms used on this page: "Knowledge management elements" (abbreviated as "KM Elements" or "Elements") are listed in the heading to all pages. "Page title" is given in the header of the page. "Page date" is found at the bottom of the page.
1. CBNRM Net ("the website"), which refers to the network as well as the web site, was set up in 2000 by a group of concerned people working on various aspects of Community-Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM), as practitioners, researchers and managers ("the users").
2. They felt a strong need to increase the learning and networking capacity among people and communities working on CBNRM, in order to increase the impact of CBNRM on the ground. At the same time they saw the need for consolidating and evaluating the large - and growing - body of experience and knowledge about how to do CBNRM. In line with the increasing emphasis on Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in the area of international development, but with a critical perspective on the promise and limitations of ICT, they believe that the Internet increasingly will be an important arena for connecting people, knowledge and ideas in the area of CBNRM.
3. CBNRM Net, and its portal CBNRM web site, addresses the issue of global knowledge management in the area of CBNRM. It emphasizes the gathering, organization and dissemination of data and information pertaining to CBNRM. It follows that CBNRM Net, at the same time, is an ongoing experiment in how to use the Internet optimally for networking across a number of important boundaries and barriers, including regions, countries, languages, cultures and sectors.
4. CBNRM Net is founded upon the emerging body of work of Knowledge Management and Knowledge Sharing, as applied to international development, specifically CBNRM. A fundamental premise - as well as goal - of knowledge management is that relevant CBNRM knowledge, that is, data and information on what CBNRM is and how to use it, need to be communicated between all manner of people involved with CBNRM, in one capacity or another. CBNRM Net, as an international network of CBNRM practitioners, managers and researchers, is a tool to achieve and further this goal.
5. CBNRM Net provides a powerful set of broad, robust and useful networking tools for communities and people working on CBNRM. It addresses specific issues and problems that CBNRM practitioners in local communities encounter and grapple with.
6. In order to contribute to realizing the promise and goal of knowledge management and knowledge sharing in the context of CBNRM, CBNRM Net emphasizes user involvement and user management. In this sense, CBNRM Net will be an ongoing and evolving project and process in itself, changing with the input and needs of its users. CBNRM Net aims to bridge the traditional gulf between website management and users, that is, the users will also be managers. The traditional approach to website management is a user interface that is limited to a one way channel of communication between user and website management. CBNRM Net aims to broaden this to establish an ongoing dialogue between CBNRM Net users and management. Thus, CBNRM Net will be whatever its users want it to be. By the same token, CBNRM Net is expected to change over time, as the needs of its users change. This will be achieved through an active and structured approach to involve and engage the users in developing and managing the website.
7. CBNRM Net covers CBNRM activities throughout the world, with an emphasis on developing countries and countries in transition.
8. CBNRM Net covers CBNRM activities in all sectors, and transcends all boundaries, geographical or man-made.
9. The goal of "interactivity" will be achieved primarily through focusing on establishing, furthering and managing direct communication between the users. This is a dramatic departure from the accepted norm on the Internet, in three important respects:
10. CBNRM Net is managed by CBNRM Networking, a non-profit organization based in Norway, and with offices in Norway and the United States.
Conditions and limitations
11. This portal website, as a complete, integrated and adaptable CBNRM knowledge management tool, is presented as a service to the global CBNRM community of practice.
12. Users are encouraged to use CBNRM knowledge available on CBNRM Net, but also to contribute and produce CBNRM knowledge. It is in this way that CBNRM Net will reach its goal as a CBNRM knowledge broker for all CBNRM practitioners. Information on submitting CBNRM knowledge is available (See Category Guidance).
13. CBNRM Net will be involved during the preparation and production of knowledge, including in web design issues and in updates of particular pages. CBNRM Net's involvement extends to a general quality control of the content.
14. Inclusion of a particular knowledge item, be it a document or a web-page, does not imply that the relationship with, and use of CBNRM, necessarily is very strong or pronounced. Also, inclusion of a particular knowledge item does not imply that CBNRM Net supports the way in which CBNRM is presented and utilized, or otherwise endorses these knowledge items.
15. All knowledge posted on the website will include name(s) of the author(s), as well as contact information, including email address phone, fax and postal address. Interested parties are advised to contact the author or authors directly if they have a content-related question, and not CBNRM Net.
16. Distributed Web Teams, other collectives of authors, as well as individuals that author and submit CBNRM knowledge for posting on CBNRM Net, will bear the full responsibility for content. This includes the responsibility for any mistakes, or for views or arguments presented, that lie solely with the author or authors and not with CBNRM Net. Aside from an advisory function during production and later updates, CBNRM Net's responsibility will be limited to technical issues connected with posting and dissemination.
17. Citation of material from the website and all pages and documents therein is encouraged, provided detailed and correct information about the source is given. Suggested citation format:
The information and content on this site is own produced as well as provided by third parties. The information and facilities are made available to all without responsibility of any kind on the part of CBNRM Net, including any warranties concerning the text, accuracy or availability of the information, products and facilities on this site. CBNRM Net is not liable for any loss or damage which arises out of use of this site or the facilities and content on this site.
This site contains links to external websites. CBNRM Net is not responsible for and has no control over the content of such sites. Links to external websites do not constitute an endorsement by CBNRM Net of the content, products, advertising or other materials presented on such sites.
This web site is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Any copyrighted material herein is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only (see United States Title 17 U.S.C. section 107). For more information go to www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.